Address Chronic Snoring at Brisbane’s Leading Clinic
One of the most common and difficult to address sleep complaints, snoring is often the butt of jokes and nagging, but in some patients can be a sign of serious health issues. If you or someone close to you is a regular snorer or is snoring loudly and heavily, it’s worth paying extra attention to their sleep quality or level of energy during the daytime. While snoring itself is not usually detrimental (although those sleeping near the snorer might say otherwise!) it is often a sign of underlying problems which can require treatment by the qualified sleep physicians at SleepCare Brisbane.
Our snore clinic can identify the potential causes of problem snoring
Snoring, as a physical phenomenon, occurs when the muscles at the back of the throat relax too much during sleep, allowing the tissues to vibrate with the air passing in and out. A number of factors contribute to this relaxation, and so can be responsible for chronic cases of snoring:
- Night-time eating
- Congestion of the sinuses
- Nasal deformities
- Consuming alcohol before sleeping, especially in large amounts
- Being overweight or obese
- Swelling of the muscular part of the roof of the mouth
- Swollen adenoids or tonsils (especially common in children)
- Medications, including sleeping tablets
- Sleep position – sleeping on your back may cause your throat muscles and tongue to relax; the tongue is then more likely to fall back and compress the airway, causing snoring or making snoring louder.
Seek treatment for any sleep disorders at our Brisbane snoring clinic
If your snoring is becoming a problem for you or others, or you are concerned that it is a symptom of a more serious condition such as sleep apnoea, then you should arrange an accredited overnight sleep study at our Brisbane clinic. Ask your GP for a referral then call 1300 753 375 today to book your study at SleepCare.